Thursday 10 January 2013

Kerala: Last Quarter - Thiruvananthapuram


I have a humongous description of the entire trip, so i thought it would be a good idea to break it into parts. We had four stops at Kerala, so I shall dedicate one post per place. In this post I cover up Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of Kerala.

December 30, 2012.

A noun bigger than my surname – Thiruvananthapuram. This place is located at an elevation, with cliffs and bordered by a beach. Indeed enjoys the best of both worlds. This city enjoys a good night sleep unlike Kochi. You won’t see too much public on the roads after nine. I wouldn’t really call it too safe, which I am used to in Mumbai during nights. Of course I had my family so I didn’t have to worry too much.

We had dinner at Hotel Thiruvananthapuram. The food there was home like and delicious. It had good amount of spices but not too much to murder the food. So the food felt light on the stomach as well. You must try the parathas here, the details being a surprise for you. This hotel also includes a Cocobar, for all you chocolate and milkshake lovers. It isn't too heavy on your pockets as well, I would give this place a thumbs up.

We stayed at Hotel Residency Tower. Our deluxe room was upgraded to a suite, large and spacious. We got two idiot boxes so that dad could catch up with some cricket and me, football. India lost badly to Pakistan, their current form doesn't look too good. Meanwhile I enjoyed seeing super Frankie’s two goals.

December 31, 2012.

We left for Kovalam beach at what I would call noon. We hadn’t any idea of going to some other place. Our driver turned out to be a blessing in disguise; if he hadn’t heard about it from another driver yesterday; we would have missed on the most incredible part of the tour. Besides I wouldn't have got, what I proudly claim as one of my best photos (ok it’s not the best, but my best).

We went on a boat ride in Poover. The boatman took us between a mangrove forest, which thrives in the backwater in Thiruvananthapuram. Coconut palms leaned into the water as if to welcome us. Kites made an abode of this locality. They glided over water to catch their meal and flew on to the top of the coconut leaves. They sat there to eat, giving me a nice pose for a nice click. These winged creatures have been a fascination for me ever since my childhood. They sore up to great heights, with ambition, pride, grace and beauty.

We stopped by the Golden beach, which happens to be a beach* even in Hindi. It lies between a lake and a sea. On one side, the Arabian sea roared furiously, causing huge waves. On the other side was the serene lake, calm and peaceful. Many villagers swam in it, performing their daily ablutions. Some of them waved at us, carefree and joyful. They knew the boatman, and wanted a picture of them. An old man in the middle of the fluidic lake sold coconuts on a boat. It had refreshing yet sweet water, and the tender malai*.

We had food from a dhaba and headed to the beach. This beach was populated with humans from different lands. It was so flat and shallow; you could go far into the water without wetting your abdomen. A light house on a cliff was on the left of the beach, while another cliff on the right had resorts meant for billionaires. Being new years eve, the beach felt more alive than usual.

We had our first experience with a speed boat. The sea felt like a series of speed breakers, really rough. Some water splashed on us along with its salinity, so I could taste salt. Mom felt a little uncomfortable, as the handles hit her legs with every bump. My advice, go for a speed boat on surface not so violent.

January 1, 2013.

I got up in the morning to have breakfast. This hotel has a wide range of meals for the morning – porridge, croissants, fruits, omelette, idli, upma, sausages. I loved the variety over here.

“….please fasten your seatbelts.” I looked outside the window, a last look at the green paradise. It was time to bid farewell to God’s own country and get on with the humdrums of our life. While I was sad because it’s over, I will always be glad that it happened.

Happy New Year folks!  

On the way to Poover

Coconut trees welcoming us

Poisonous fruits on Mangroves

Through the forest

Green roof

Brahminy Kite standing with pride


Looking beyond the horizon

Golden Beach

Mother Mary carrying a dead Jesus(before resurrection)

My picture perfect shot - perfect timing, angle, zoom and the placing

Violent waves

Friends on the leaf

Collecting coconut for a living

Yo baby, its me

Rock on Kovalam beach

Meal time(no they aren't kissing)

My crazy parents

Sun going down the sea

Timing!

Light house beach - Kovalam

Skies over water

I could be anything,
so i became a plane.

4 comments:

  1. Some of the pictures turned out to be brilliant by mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for complimenting my pictures, although you do realise that i dont like the fact that you called it a mistake you Anonymous fellow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The primary reason behind the negative comment was to cover up its blatancy.
      I had expected you to be smart enough to figure it out, Rose*sniff*Essence.

      Delete